Sherline Taig Mill R8 Spindle Upgrade Headstocks
(Your headstock will come fully assembled. Tormach TTS® parts sold separately) - For Sherline owners, the Low Profile R8 version sold elsewhere in our store requires the guide pin to be ground down by 3mm...the R8 version on this page does not require the pin to be ground down.
The Sherline and Taig headstocks are a good little headstock, but it’s a bit too small for some needs. Because of the demand for a more robust headstock with larger bearings; we introduce the Glock Billet Headstock. It has all the mounting features of a stock Sherline headstock to keep it completely compatible with Sherline products. Plus, it has additional mounts for custom machines. The differences are as follows:
- You can now have a more robust 3.5”W x 3.5”T x 3.0”L, that’s a full 1.00” wider and taller (0.50” on each side & 1.00” taller than a stock Sherline headstock, center is still 1.75”)
- Larger 62mm OD bearings for heavier work load and superior wear, so you can use heavier chucks, parts or cutters (stock is only 42mm OD)
- Available in deep groove (ABEC-5 standard, ABEC-7 optional) OR angular contact (ABEC-7 or ABEC-9)
- Mounting options: (6) Flange holes for 5/16 socket head screws and Sherline center post mount compatible (Taig mill requires our adapter)
- Higher rigidity Using the MT3 or R8 spindle with Tormach Tooling System®...this will allow for custom ATC (automatic tool changer) applications or rapid manual changes. A huge variety of cutters and cutter holders. Also, the TTS® transfers the tool press to the face of the spindle and the angular walls of the spindle. This makes it much more rigid than just using the angular inside portion of the spindle.
ATC & Tormach Tooling System® (TTS®) - (you may order Tormach TTS® parts directly from us) The headstock with R8 or MT3 spindle will be required to use TTS®. Your new headstock is ATC ready. In other words, you can adapt a pneumatic or electric linear actuator for this. The design is up to you.
TTS® will also allow you to program tool heights into your control software, such as Mach3 or Mach4.
- We do recommend using at least a 750 watt motor for this. The bearings are much more heavy duty. If you choose to use a stock Sherline motor, it will work, however you will need a longer belt (it will directly mount, holes are in the same place and size as on a stock Sherline headstock).
- Taig motors will not work effectively with this headstock. The motor and belts are too weak. While Taig machine bodies are very well made, the motor and belts won't be enough.
- Pulley - We have a 3 step pulley that is Sherline compatible available
Please note: Because of heavy demands, please expect about a 4 week build time.
The current headstocks now have the flanged sides and do not have the 4 holes on the bottom like previous generations. They are also anodized in black.